Last weekend one of my best friends Kaitlyn invited me out to go hiking. I got up at the ‘Sunday crack of dawn’ (8 am) and headed over to meet her at the trail for 9:15.
It couldn’t have possibly been a more beautiful, sunny, crisp and just overall glorious fall morning.
After a week at my sewing machine it felt like a total breath of fresh air.
The trail was absolutely stunning, and the fall colours are just starting to turn 🙂
If only my ceiling looked like this all the time 🙂
I’ve felt cooped up in the sewing room all week- so I really needed the exercise.
The trail we went to is called Beamer Memorial Trail, just outside of Hamilton in Grimsby, Ontario.
It has part of the Bruce Trail, which is an 885 km trail along the Niagara Escarpment. Needless to say we did not walk that far lol, we just did a small part of it 🙂
But quite a beautiful part, with views of lake Ontario 🙂
We also wandered our way down to the little waterfall at the end of one of the side trails
Kaitlyn taking pictures
She even took this one of me 🙂
Then we hiked back to the center of the trail and took these stairs down the escarpment into the valley belowf.
Then spent some time wandering the little creek running through the valley.
Doesn’t this look gorgeous- yes yes it does- but I will tell you my friends, be cautious walking along rocks, in a creek, that look like this. Why you ask? let me tell you:
Just imagine me, somewhat clumsily walking along, rock to rock, when all of the sudden I put all my faith, all my weight, into my step onto a slightly angled rock, only to find out that the surface is coated in a very thin layer of algae that has about 0 friction. You can imagine what happens next: foot goes straight out from under me, and I’m on my bum before I can blink. Now the worst part of this whole experience was trying to get up off the slipperiest rock in the whole world, while trying not to pee your pants from laughter, while going into harder fits of giggles as your friend is almost peeing themselves watching you try to get up. Not to mention the very startled look I got from a birdwatcher who didn’t understand my laughter and was worried that I justf couldn’t get up, whom I had to reassure that I was indeed okay.
That my friends is why you must be cautious with these rocks.
But after the whole rock ordeal we made it all the way back up the stairs and back along the trail, where we ran into this little guy
What a cutie 🙂 I love woolly bear caterpillars 🙂 and what a nice end to the walk 🙂
I feel like this is something that I should do more often, I felt about 10 lbs lighter walking out of those woods, like it cleared my mind and refreshed me so much- I would highly recommend it, especially now while the weather is so beautiful!
Do you like to walk the trails in the fall? Do you have a favourite hiking trail in your area?
I just love it! and this trail is such a gem!
I am off to drink some tea, cuddle up in a sweater, and do all the very seasonable things- I might even buy a pumpkin to carve 🙂
I was thinking about what I should do for this Wellness Wednesday, and it occurred to me- the most simple and the most important part of Wellness- Happiness. So I set out to make a list of
25 30 33 things that make me happy, big or small. As you can tell it is addictive to think of things that make you happy and I couldn’t stop coming up with more things once I started!
It was amazing how happy it made me feel just to put together this list! which makes me realize how simple it can be to be happy and to turn your mood around- I know that I will be coming back to this blog post anytime I feel down 🙂 and I would HIGHLY recommend making a list like this yourself! 🙂 – if it was a youtube tag – I would tag everyone to do this!
Here we go:
1. Listening to a good audio book while doing crafts :): I recommend the Harry Potter series read by Jim Dale, and anything by John Green
2. Really creative blogs that I love- TOO MANY TO LIST HERE- I will do a blog post on my favs soon!
3. Petting random cats – you know that cat that comes up to you on the sidewalk- I will flat-out sit down and pet it for 1/2 an hour.
4. Keeping my nails painted & really bright crazy currently:
5. Walking in the woods with my dad 🙂
6. Listening to music & crafting with my sister and Kaitlyn until the wee hours of the morning when we all get a little loopy
7. When my favourite shows come on and I get to watch them right away! – Yes I have diverse taste … lol
8. Looking up at the paper stars I hung above my bed when I wake up in the morning, blog post here!
9. Youtubers & their entertaining/ creative videos 🙂
10. Smothering my dog with attention
11. Clearing away clutter & donating my things I don’t use anymore
12. Looking through old photos of me and my sis 🙂
13. Trying new recipes with my mom – we were de-boning & stuffing chickens in these pics!
14. Skyping with my friend Claire, never less than 4 hours lol.
15. Ordering fancy looking cocktails/ beverages of any sort
16. Really fluffy pipe-cleaners, you know the ones 🙂
17. Going to Boretski – I never leave without the biggest smile
18. Watching TV in bed with my mom at night – currently working through Supernatural
19. Flowers on my table 🙂
20. Dancing and singing along to music in my car at stoplights/ anytime if I am not the driver: especially ‘I love it’ by Icona Pop with my sister
21. Traveling anywhere & everywhere 🙂
22. Doing my make-up for a night out.
23. Trying new activities with my friend Jenn (horseback riding, paintballing, skipping school to go to the beach & take pictures, hosting murder mystery parties!) — What’s next Jenn?!?! go-carting?!?!
24. Watching cat videos on youtube… I know I know….. if you have my same addiction then you might enjoy watching this cat: MARU ^..^
25. Fruit Picking, ALL THE FRUITS
26. Getting a new music playlist from my sister 🙂
27. When my oatmeal doesn’t overflow in the microwave
28. Butterflies, just butterflies
29. Rock climbing with my friend Karen- ALWAYS fun times racing up the tower
30. My Kitties!
31. Playing Euchre with my Grandparents ( Me + Grandma = dream-team forever!!)
32. Picnics on the beach
33. Writing blog posts- it makes me feel so creative and proud the second I hit publish! 🙂
So there are 33 things that make me happy 🙂
and 33 things that I am currently smiling about 🙂
Hope you are having just as happy of a Wednesday and that you take some time out to think about all the things that make you happy!